Wednesday, September 30, 2015

2 MINUTES CUP CAKE DHOKLA | NO ENO OR FRUIT SALT

Before sharing the recipe, I would like to say something.Dhoka is my "the favorite snack".But I was never successful in making Dhokla ever since I started cooking.Be it home made batter or Store brought batter,My Dhokla making was always a disaster.But some where in my heart, I was not ready to give up on this recipe.

So I decided to try this recipe for the first time.I was not sure it it was going to be a success or not.It was all experimental.But still decided to click the step by step photos.Because my inner voice was telling me that I was going to succeed today.And yes!!!! I finally made it.

Another challenge was "Not using ENO or FRUIT SODA" in the recipe.So I decided to go with traditional method of making batter and instant method of baking it in Microwave and new method of making in Silicon Cup Cake Moulds...SO,I would say the method is kind of fusion here and hope that you all will like it.

The Reasons for not adding ENO is :

  1. It is a medicine.So I prefer not to use in food as a short cut.Let us allow it serve it's real purpose.And hence I have never been comfortable with using ENO as substitute.I am sure,many of you have that feeling too.Hence I am going to use the ingredient that is meant for Baking.
  2. Baking powder is meant for baking so why not use it
  3. You do not have to depend on ENO all the time to make Dhokla.Just a little preparation and have your dhokla with proper ingredients.Also,Baking powder helps for better bindng.Dhokla will be fluffy and firm.
  4. I could make Pure besan Dhokla and did not have to use ingredients like Rawa or Semolina for binding.Rawa gets soggy and we think that Dhokla is fluffy.But this is not the case.One should be able to see the pores when cut in the middle as you can see in the photo number three below.


I am giving step by step recpe of how I exactly did today.As it does not have ENO in it for instant raising, we would need soaking the batter for 6 hours.But, after that each batch (set of 6 cup cake moulds with batter)  took only 2 minutes to bake in the Microwave (Mine is 1000 Watts).

If you want to make as evening snack, Make the batter in in the morning and keep it aside.You all set for evening.Ekdum Tension Free :D

The steps look lengthy becuse I ahve entered every detail of my experiment here.But it is very easy and hastle free to make.

Serving : I was able to make 16 Dhokla Cakes with the measurements below.





INGREDIENTS :

  • BATTER
  1. ChickPea Flour or Basan - 1 Cup (Sifing is recommended here )
  2. Plain Yogurt  - 1 Cup (Beat the yogurt and microwave for 45 seconds).It becomes to room temperature and gets little sour.
  3. Sugar - 1 Tbsp
  4. Salt for taste
  5. Lime juice -  from One whole Lime (Makes around 4 Tbsp of Lime Juice)
  6. Baking Powder - 1 - 1/2 Tsp (We are going to need it at the end)
  • SWEET SYRUP
  1. Water - 1 Cup
  2. Sugar - 2 to 3 Tbsp
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Lime Juice - from Half Lime/Lemon
  • TEMPERING OR TADKA
  1. Oil - 3 Tbsp
  2. Mustard and Cumin Seeds - 1 Tbsp each
  3. Hing - A Pinch (Optional)
  4. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 Tsp
  • GARNISHING
  1. Grated Cocnut  - 1/4 Cup (I have used the fresh one)
  2. Finely Chopped cilantro - 1/4 Cup
STEPS : 
  • MAKING BATTER
  1. In a large bowl Take besan.Add the beaten Yogurt,Salt and Lime juice. (DO NOT add baking Powder at this point).
  2. Mix everything well, such thatt all the lumps disappear.
  3. The batter should not be too runny.The consistency should be like Idli batter or little thicker.
  4. If you think you need to add little water.Use the warm water and add spoon by spoon.
  5. Keep the batter closed for 6 hours (The time was around 10 AM in m clock when I kept the batter in the Oven for soaking and fermentation.I took out the batter at 4 PM to make the Dhokla)
  • MAKING DHOKLA
  1. Keep Silicone Cup Cake Moulds Ready and greased.Mine did not need greasing though.We are going to keep 6 moulds at a time in the Microwave for 2 minutes.So you can keep ready the next batch of 6 moulds with batter filled in them.
  2. Now you will see that the batter is thickend so you will need few sppons of water to loosen it.Again,use the Warm water.
  3. Once you get the good consistency of batter,add Baking Powder and start stirring immediately.You will bubbles when you add it.
  4. Now start stirring and mixing well.You will see that batter is becoming fluffy and lighter.Let it be that way.Make sure that Baking powder is really mixed well.
  5. Now Fill each Cup Cake mould until half with the batter as you see in pic.Keep those moulds (6 of them) in the Microwave safe palte and let it bake for 2 minutes on the highest wattage.
  6. They are ready in 2 minutes.
  7. Now, again keep the next batch.
  • TEMPERING OR TADKA
  1. Heat the Oil on medium flame.Add Cumin and Mustard Seeds and let them fry well.We do not wan them to remain raw.Or else,mustard seeds taste bitter.
  2. Once they are fried well,put flame off and add Hing and urmeric Powder.
  3. Tadka is Ready.
  • SWEET SYRUP
  1. In a bowl (Big enough such that you can easily dip Dhokla Cup cake) add Water,Salt,Sugar and Lime juice and stir well until sugar and salt are completely dessolved.
  • SERVING DHOKLA
  1. Take Dhokla out of the Silicone Mold
  2. Dipping In Sweet Syrup - So instead of pouring this syrup,I did little different.Dip teh Cake in the syrup upside up for few secinds,so that syrup is well absorbed by cake and keep it in the plate. 
  3. Sprinkle Cocnut and Cilantro.
  4. Now sprinkle little bit of Sweet syrup (Optional)
  5. Then add Tadka
  6. Cupcake Dhokla is all set to serve to your loved ones :)

TIPS : 
  • Make sure to check the wattage of your Microwave.Because time needed to bake may varry depending upon power of the Microwave.
  • Youcan also garnish with finely chopped Green chillies.











10 comments:

  1. This is so cool and very innovative. The shapes play a major role in kids food. Thanks for this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vidya for the reply...Yeah you are right about the shapes...My daughter ate for the first time.Also I have updaed the reason for not using ENO...Hope this will help you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gayatri, Nice idea.Can you explain you kept batter in microwave for fermentation..means exactly keep in off oven? And bake for 2 mins..means on convection mode..and do we require preheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarika, I did not keep the batter in Microwave dear...in the oven tha is used for baking.It is useful in USA as the weather is not helpful some time.And Oven is put off.You can keep inside Cabinet or Just keep it aside on Kitchen Counter.Does not matter. I am not much aware of convention moce.But I have used Microwave for baking.So I will say,Use Microwave mode.No preheating....

      Delete
  4. Hie ..what should be added 2 make dhoklas more quickly ?? 2 wait fr is nt vry easy task ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahuti, as I have mentioned above, it is kind of traditional method to avoid the use of ENO....you can try with citric acid for quick version :)

      Delete
  5. Hi, Any idea whether I can steam it instead of microwaving it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rajani you can.....I am very soon going to post the recipe with steaming.Just need to draft the blog...I will let you know here once I publish the recipe :)

      Delete
  6. Can we bake it in the oven instead of microwave? How long would we have to bake it for and at what temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I have not tried this yet.But thank you so much for the idea....I look forward to try in the oven too :)

    ReplyDelete